Apr 29, 2007

Studying telenovelas

I use a theoretical tool--the Circuit of Culture (du Gay et al, 1997)--to organize my studies, in which I attempt to examine telenovelas from as many perspectives as possible. Below the Circuit of Culture of my study of Ciudad Bendita and the many methods I'm using:




When I'm studying a particular telenovela, it's important for me to soak myself in this particular text. I listen to its music, scan the entertainment press on a daily basis, and have daily e-mail exchanges and/or phone conversations with production team and audience members. I also like to have a visual image of my object of study. Here's my office bulletin board, where I can see at a glance the main characters, the daily ratings and the many triangles that conform Ciudad Bendita:

No comments: